The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day April 27 2014

I was (virtually) in the Met Tab listening again this week. Dr Masters was back in his pulpit and preached from Philippians 3 to the saints and John 12:24 to sinners. It was decent stuff, though not that easy to listen to. The hymns are quite idiosyncratic (I'm sure I also spotted again a slight discrepancy between what was written and what was sung, somehow). It is still great to be able to tune in like this. (I believe that Tabernacle, Cardiff, do offer a similar facility but that was not a possibility this particular Sunday). Here in Childs Hill Robert Strivens preached again am on the Last Supper in Luke and pm Andrew King came across from Highbury to help us, for which we are very thankful.

No comments: