The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day April 6 2014

This Lord's Day turned out to be rather different to what I was expecting. Even last Friday afternoon I was expecting to preach on 1 Corinthians 13 and Isaiah 6. That was not the Lord's will, however. Since I became a Christian in the early seventies I have only missed gathering with the Lord's people  a handful of times. This was one of those rare occasions. I didn't aim very high at keeping the day to the Lord given the circumstances. I left the newspapers for a change and read the bitesize biography of Charles Hodge that has recently appeared. There were visitors in the afternoon which was very nice. My assistant Andrew and fellow elder Robert kindly stood in for me (Andrew also took a funeral and spoke to the kids in the evening on Friday!) - providences abound. Some of the congregation were a little shocked to hear the news but are adjusting. So not a great day in some ways but pretty good considering.

No comments: