The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Pointless Books

Over the summer, I came across a spin off book from the Pointless series in a charity shop (100 Pointless Arguments). Having enjoyed it I couldn't resist sending for the previous volume (100 Pointless Things). As the books suggest these are ideal for reading on the toilet -short humorous chapters that sometimes stimulate or inform. I liked (from Book 1 - not yet finished) cushions on beds, extended warranties, sharing packs and charges at ATMs (all pretty pointless you'll agree). I also was interested to learn that it is illegal to pay for goods using more than 20 pennies. In the second book (which I read first - that's my way) I liked "Whose turn is it to take out the bins?" "What is the best length for a pop song?" and "Is it okay to go to the cinema on your own?" and was interested to learn that Postman Pat's real name is Patrick Clifton.
Before some other wag gets in I do realise that blogs like this are pretty pointless. It's also pointless to argue against them too.

No comments: