The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Bruce Ware at LTS

Southern Baptist professor Bruce Ware has been lecturing at LTS this week and yesterday afternoon there was an open meeting where he very helpfully presented material on the debate over what is now known as complementarian and egalitarian thinking on men and women. His summary of the two positions can be seen here. What I cannot find on the net is the excellent diagram that he gave us setting it all out for us. I have it in a notebook but no time to set it out here. I did bowl Dr Ware a googly in the question time but it was a genuine question (on women reading Scripture in public). I hope to meet him soon and we can talk further perhaps. Some of us met in fraternal for lunch before the event and that was good. I also spoke briefly to Gavin Peacock, currently over from Canada, who was in Cardiff last week giving much the same sort of material I guess (see here). My two Wales based sons were at that.
(PS If you think my pictures are improving I'm afraid not. I'm getting them here)

No comments: