The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Midweek Meeting October 29 2014

We were quite a select group last night, as I thought we might be. I did thinking of doing a one off but I wanted to get on with Philippians so I just pressed on with the first five verses. You can never predict who will be there on any given Wednesday so it makes sense. Starting off on one of Paul's letters is always slightly difficult as he says similar things in most of them. There are lessons to learn, however. Perhaps the most obvious one was the need to see ourselves as Christ's servants - as Paul clearly did. A good prayer time followed - lots to pray about, as ever.
 

No comments: