The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day November 10 2014

Bit slow with this again but we had an excellent day Sunday, including lunch together following the morning meeting. It was Remembrance Day, of course, and so we began with the two minutes silence as we always do. I've never preached on the theme before but as it is the hundredth anniversary of the end of the First World war I decided to go to Lamentations 3:19-23. It was a slight struggle to keep on track and not just make bland comments but I think we got there. In the evening I looked at the seed among thorns, the third in our little series on the Parable of the sower. This was the best so far, I thought. Again, what a privilege to be amongst God's people and to be preaching his Word.

No comments: