The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day May 3 2015

Yesterday was a little strange in some ways. I have a bit of a cold which made things  slightly difficult. As expected there were also a large number of people away so I was concerned about the singing (we only failed the once).
I also preached two pretty short sermons (they must have been about 25 minutes each). This is basically good news but I tend to fear I just haven't worked hard enough on the material. I was on the final verses of 1 Corinthians 15 in the morning (I claimed it was verses 50-59 on the notice sheet but there are only 58 verses in the chapter). In the evening I preached on prayer from the Sermon on the Mount. Size wise neither congregation was too bad. We had a few visitors of various sorts.
We started the day with communion. We now have two deacons rather than three and one was away so we are having to get used to a slightly different pattern there. I also welcomed into membership the two young people baptised the other week.
Anyway it is a privilege to preach the word in season and out and we pray it will be a blessing to those who heard.

No comments: