The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day August 30 2015


It was good to be preaching in Childs Hill again yesterday. I decided to preach on the sovereignty of God in the morning - a subject we are always in danger of neglecting. I expounded Psalm 135:6. It seemed to me that a good balance would be to preach in the evening on human responsibility. For that I decided to go to 2 Corinthians 5:10 which speaks of the judgement day. It was very stimulating to preach on these texts and I hope that it was a blessing to those who heard. Quite a few were away but there were visitors too. An Iranian man has begun to attend and we are seeking to get to know him. Numbers were rather low in the evening.

No comments: