The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day September 27 2015

I don't think it was the Welsh win over England the night before (I hope not) but I did wake quite encouraged and managed to go on like that all day, which I'm often not very good at. (I also had my two sermons more sorted than usual as I knew we were due to be out all day - that helps I think). Anyway the encouragements kept coming all day.
  • First, we resumed our bitesize theology class with the very encouraging and central doctrine of justification.
  • We had a full double figure turn out for that.
  • Then there was a good sized congregation for the morning service where I preached a harvest message from Psalm 126, which I hope was helpful. I got help on it from John Piper. The tears are not caused by the sowing but we are often in tears as we sow. We need to press on until harvest.
  • It was good to have as many as nine children under ten there (when we often have only two).
  • We also had visitors - a lady with two children and the African gentleman who came last week, who turns out to be from Ghana. Of course, there were some missing as ever but it was a good time.
  • We then had a lovely afternoon with others in the home of one of my deacons.
  • We had a good attendance in the evening too, including a visit from a family we know. I preached (quite animatedly I thought) On Ehud the left hander. (I've found Tim Keller's book on preaching a help on the matter of preaching Christ I think).
  • My son and his family came back to us for cuppa after the evening service and that was nice too.
 

No comments: